Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Before SERVPRO of Clear Lake Arrives
Fire damage is stressful and scary, we know that at SERVPRO of Clear Lake and League City East! Of course, we want your safety and the safety of those around you to be your main concern. Once you have ensured everyone's safety and called for help, there are a few things that are important to keep in mind. Be sure to make yourself aware of your surroundings and always avoid any electrical hazards that might be present. Also, while we know that you will want to try to remove personal belongings, be very careful and know that if they have gotten wet they will be much heavier. Always let the trained professionals take lead, and remember that we are available 24/7 (281) 486-4716!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (281) 486-4716
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.