A Quick Guide to Smoke Detector Features
A Quick Overview Of Smoke Detector Functions
When it comes to fire safety, the best device you can buy for your home in Dickson,TX is a smoke alarm. The current recommendation is that you replace your alarm every ten years. Check out this quick list of smoke detector features to guide you in your replacement decision.
* Hard-wired or battery. Devices may be wired directly into your home's electrical system or use batteries. Batteries should be replaced yearly, but there are also devices that come with 10-year lithium ion batteries now.
* Interconnected. When one alarm is triggered, all alarms will sound. This has only been available with hard-wired alarms, but battery-powered smart alarms now offer this feature as well.
* Combination alarm. One alarm to sound off for smoke or high carbon monoxide levels.
* Ionizing detection. Fast burning fires are best detected with this type of alarm. These are also triggered easily in error by steamy showers or smoke from caramelized onions. If you are into either of these, you want to look for devices with a hush function so you never deactivate the alarm.
* Photoelectric detection. Smoldering fires are best detected with this kind of smoke alarm.
* Smart alarm. This works with your home's wireless internet to send you a push notification whenever the alarm sounds off.
* Room specific alarms. Some manufacturers are offering features, like no low-battery chirp as well as verbal alarms, to for in-bedroom alarms. Kitchen specific alarms feature sensors to detect true fires with less false alarms.
Firefighters recommend that you have both ionizing and photoelectric detection styles in your home. If your home is a little older, you may find that you have too few alarms. The current minimum recommendation is for one smoke alarm on every floor, including the basement, and one outside of each bedroom. This placement is critical to getting your family out of a burning house quickly. With your family safe, you know you can count on restoration professionals to help with any fire damage to your home.